Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Learning Adventure …Those 24 hours

Yes it was a learning adventure for me when I was stranded for 24 hours without money to buy food or water. I was stuck at an airport which had so called no accommodation for an economy class passenger as all the economy class rooms were converted to the ROYAL SILK.

I had booked a ticket from Manila to Delhi via Bangkok with Thai Airways on Dec 16, 2007. It was supposed to be a pleasant comfortable journey. I was excited for the journey as I was about to meet my parents within next 24 hours after a long pleasant stay in Philippines. Wow, all set everything was packed, well arranged in my bags. The morning we (my Friend who was half way with me till Bangkok and I) left our hotel for Manila International Airport which was somewhere 5 hours long journey by a Victory liner bus. Last night we had celebrated a great Christmas Night with our friends and had all sorts of fun. We reached Manila at around 8 in morning as I remember Tired and hungry. I remember I had some money still left in my mobile which I spent to send some last Texts to our Teachers and Friends informing our departure. Time was to leave to Airport and everything fell into its place. We were happy, clicked some pictures after we were done with all security formalities. We had to sit separate so we boarded and I bid Goodbye to that Place which was the first step For My Dream Job. Flight was as usually normal and we landed in a beautiful Airport of Swarnabhumi, Bangkok. The airport is full of beautiful structures and it glitters almost from everywhere. “I wish I had time to stay here more and roam around” what I said in my mind. Never thought that it will be fulfilled so early.

My friend was about to leave from the Transition after he was done with the on-arrival Visa formalities which I wanted to see how actually it happens so accompanied him. I had just some 2 odd hours for the departure in which I can use almost 1hr 30 minutes for what I call inspection of Airport. I think after a short while he said he needed some money as there is no ATM around so I just game him a 100 dollar note as I knew I would not require in transition and I was about to board Flight to India. After he left, I the stupid man was rather more inquisitive to see around and I started roaming with a trolley bag in my hand and valise on my shoulder. In this, I absolutely forgot to check the departure time again from the Display and I started clicking Pictures and sat at some bench to watch the Pilots and Airhostess pass by. By the time I realized I hurriedly went for the security. I noticed the Flight had already left an 18 years young boy behind without even giving the Final Call to gather my Notice towards them. Ahh that was a big mistake I did. I rushed to the ground Floor counters of Thai for help and noticed that the lady straight away said it was my fault (which was) and after many requests she could only book me after 15 days as all flights were already full. What a great shock was that for me and a scene of a movie came to my eyes which I just saw 2 days back where a man was stranded in the airport without money where he started working as Sweeper, Bartender, Waiter and what not to just to earn for his ticket back to his home.

Now, I realized that someone was waiting at Delhi to kiss her son after a long time. The left dollars that I had I got converted to buy an ISD card to call my father. With a great turbulence in my heart I said” PAPA I HAVE MISSED MY FLIGHT” I don’t know what was the reaction at my house but for sure hearing my mother I almost broke. But as a man I never wanted the young lady at shop to know the situation I retrieved myself and told them I will book another ticket from Air India or Indian Airlines as I called some airlines offices and already had checked availabilities. After some time I tried to persuade the lady at counter to kindly accommodate me for next day or the second day and showed her my empty wallet.

I don’t know why I called my mom when she told me that she had checked with the agent in India and I was shown to be offloaded, hence the agent left advised for me to again talk to them and they will have to book me asap as according to him It was their responsibility. Fortunately the lady was replaced by another and the she simply told me that it was my mistake but she will give me a Boarding Pass of Next days flight , 2 hours before the flight which I think was at 2 in the evening. A big stone was out of my chest that anyways I will reach tomorrow if not today. I informed my mom about that and I guess she called thousands of people in the mean time. Then I was greatly worried about my other bag which was still at their Cargo Hold. I pleaded that Lady to recheck about my back and make sure it was not loaded or lost as I had all my certificates in them for which I had spent last 8 months. After confirming twice about my bag and the boarding pass I left for my journey around that huge and greatly decorated Airport.

I was almost exhausted which the reader might not feel after reading but I was. My hand and shoulder was just tired of running all around for last 4 hours from Counter to Call Booth. For the worse I realized there was no room made for the Economy Class passengers. I tried going and requesting The Royal Silk receptionists to allow me to just sit there which was in vain from all corners of the airport. Then I found a room for rest and Prayer for MUSLIMS, where I tried to sit for a while after greeting the people who actually looked like Indians. BUT after 60 years of Independence I realized that Hindu cannot enter Muslim premise which was rather not even owned by that man as he was also like me, JUST An Economy Class Passenger waiting to board his Flight. I was surprised by what he asked and hence I thought not to reply him and turned away from that place immediately. Hope that man will understand HUMANITY BEFORE A RELIGION. I checked my bag which had just few coins, Australian Dollars and some Bahts which my father gave me 8 months before when I was leaving for Manila which was accidentally there as I never realized that small amount’s presence in my bag, I got them converted to find out that they were just not even enough for a Bottle of Water hence, I had to remain without anything at the airport. So I started walking across the airport where I met some Indian People Sleeping at the benches who had morning flight to Varanasi. The Bottle in there hand just looked like a Gold chain for a smuggler. Leaving them I went to see the airport where I was highly impressed by the construction, style and structures present at the airport with a place which was a token to their King. I moved around all shops specially the electronic ones where I planned to buy few Gadgets if I come again there and with some money. It was great and pleasant for a Second Time traveler and newly lost kid at an unfamiliar airport. I could hardly stop my feet though I was tired and drought hit as I had no water from past couple of restless hours. It was difficult to pass the time. The temperature in airport was unbearably cold, or I felt it way too much than others because All the Bad Thoughts were still RINGING BELLS in my EARS. Somehow at about 12 in night after roaming for 4 hours non-stop in that huge airport after cramming the complete picture of that place in my mind I found corner 2 seats vacant as the airport and within few hours it was almost empty. With a thin T- shirt on I was really feeling weak and cold there. The Bag I was carrying was weighing 19kgs which had just books and nothing at all. The clothes were in the other bag for which I had to take visa and then had to travel to the other Terminal Building where it was kept. I was just literally counting seconds ad minutes trying to sleep. Somehow Gazing at the people and looking the blurred image of the aircrafts from window I passed my time. I went back to call and realized it was a relief inside so after the call, I requested the young Lady there if she can permit me to sit there. I promised to sit at the most corner seat and would not be any disturbance to her business. I think she greeted me well and allowed, where I slept sitting intermittently till morning. I went to the washroom in the morning to brush where I met an old Sardarji almost of my grandfather’s age. At least I found some company to talk. We both went to the Counter as I was looking for the boarding pass. When I reached there found that they would issue it after another 2 hours and I met the same group of people I earlier met last night who were struggling to talk at those counters (they were not worse with English). I somehow managed to try and help them out as the Thai Staff told me that they were offloaded too and had to wait for next flight. I tried to make them understand the situation but they could not. I was like an interpreter between them trying to help those guys out. At last somehow they agreed to pay them compensation as well as accommodation at Royal Silk for their stay. That time I was really jealous that I could not do the same for me. If tried I would have got a small place to just relax a bit. But those were lucky enough and it was not their mistake so it was a different case as a whole. I just selfishly thought that they might gift me a water bottle but unfortunately they didn’t and then they were not even seen around anywhere. So I returned back to the Old man for some chit chat but he was busy in Prayer so I left him. I was desperate to get something as after the long conversation for those men my throat was even worse. Most of the things were out of my budget neither water nor a cake. At last I resorted to a coffee shop where I bought the cheapest one emptying every single penny from my pocket. I don’t remember the correct prize of that as it will be 2 years on December 16; it was for sure the cheapest but most precious for me. After done I saw Sardarji who was sitting with some other Punjabi Boys who arrived from Australia. I think that man had watched me helping out those people, so it was not long those Punjabi men started talking to me and they anxiously asked the complete story. So, we also became friends, I think unique friend as they were 3 generations sitting together and I was the one youngest of them all. Surprisingly, the Old Man opened his kitty and it had few Parathas to eat. That was a great site for me. He gently requested us to share with him for which I hesitated (may be out of suspicion as yet the journey was not that good to me) But soon I lost my horses and I devoured it to my empty stomach whose sound the whole airport can listen. I think that was the best part of the Journey so far so long. In few moments, we were into the aircraft after passing through the security once again where I believe a lady was gazing at me and then murmuring into her daughter’s ears about my face which was identical with his cousin’s.

Anyways I was happy again that at last I am back on track, and boarded the aircraft. To my next seat there was a young girl I think from America who was with her mom sitting at the next row. I asked if she wants to sit with her mom but she said its better like that as she cannot sleep if her mom comes next to her. So the journey was nice, I was just retrieving my experience in last 24 hours and I was returning to home which was almost negligible once. I was tired but I didn’t sleep. At last we landed and I saw my mom waiting at the Immigrations, she herself could not wait to meet me as soon as we landed.


So I think this story, was like the far best and adventurous for me till date. Yes, I realize that I learnt many things not just about being careful but also knew and met many men with all memories in my mind both good and bad. So I called this experience as A Learning Adventure. Nevertheless, there was one satisfaction that night when I slept on my bed that I am back indeed.

---
Mukul Gupta

0 comments:

How do you find the Post ?