Thursday, August 27, 2009

THE SIKKIM

A Diverse Land with a major section being Nepalese and Buddhist followers, it shares its Border with Nepal, China - Tibet and Bhutan. I think it is the Best place I have seen in India. The people are absolutely amazing; it is like gifted land with all the greatest creations of God.  Gangtok, the place we reached by a Taxi from Bagdogra Airport which is about 5 hours long beautiful and absolutely splendid journey through mountain valleys and diverse flora. The next day was of great interest to me. This place is also so hyped by the media as many of our celebrities went there to support our Armed Personnel guarding that tough  terrain. Natula – Pass what they call, shares a sensitive border with China and I must say the conditions there are not so very good for the Army. There is almost 20% oxygen for Normal Breathing due to its altitude (14,000 feet). Most of the soldiers deployed there have got their Skin burnt because they have direct exposure of Sun at that high altitude. More than 6 months that place is covered with knee height snow which makes it impossible for them to access their daily meals and they cannot come down to the base as we cannot trust the Chinese Army. Though our Leaders say that we hold good relations with our neighbours but it doesn’t seem to be reflected from the Behaviors of the Chinese Soldiers. But I am not going to say anything on that, let us leave it to them. But as far that area is concerned every INDIAN’s Heart will overflow with emotions in respect for our soldiers and it comes out automatically “JAI HIND”. I SALUTE THOSE MARTIERS FOR LAYING DOWN THEIR LIVES TO DEFEND OUR MOTHERLAND WHENEVER IT WAS NEEDED. THEY PROVED THEIR LOVE TO HER MORE THAN ANY OTHER INDIAN. Such an emotional Journey was it for me, where on the way we could see our most known Boforce again at the work. They looked really awesome and absolutely it looked same as been depicted in various Movies, the Bunkers, the Artillery and The Boforce themselves was so real in front of me.
There is also a very Interesting Incident Relating to that Place. There was an Army Men who used to be positioned at that place and unfortunately he died in China - India war. That man is preached as a True Immortal Saint now. There is this hearsay that after his death (late Capt. Harbhajan Singh), it was noticed that his walking noise was heard by not only our soldiers but the counterpart Chinese at the very same location where he used to Patrol the border. A camp bed is kept for him, his boots are polished and uniform kept every night which is reported crumpled every morning and boots muddy by evening. He continues to draw his salary which is paid to her mother and takes annual leave as well. Legend also has it that in the event of War between China and India, he would warn his soldiers 3 days in advance. Indeed, I guess the visit to that place was a real nice and interesting experience for me.
It doesn’t end there, the next was the visit to the great Rumtek Monastery with the golden Stupa. The preaching ways of the monks always has encouraged me to know more about them. I think Buddhism is not separate from Hinduism and they are interrelated. The well dressed monks and their disciplined life should always be respected and I think should be a source for learning to the others. We went to various other monasteries and had the pleasure to see their life style. I think the life is not very simple for the common people there as I noticed that most of them have to walk all the way. There is not as such basic Public Mode of Transport, either it is private taxis which are basically for the Tourists or there Pvt. Vehicles. I guess I heard a lot about their CM who doing everything possible for the people. I could really see he has done some splendid work there. My mind was boggled when I saw a near market which is called Mini Switzerland. It was like the most beautiful Market I have ever been to anywhere in India. The lights, Roads and the Decorative shops can really make you go crazy.
I also found at various occasions that some men were on hunger strikes demanding a separate land for Gorkha, for which they have already made maps and have finalized the Administrative Policies if they are heard. I was also happy to talk to many shop keepers around who said that they would continue to demand for it but always in a proper code and it will remain to be non-violent and peaceful protest if done
The adventurous part of the Trip was the Tista River, where we could hire a raft and can enjoy rafting at an 11 km long river bed. With the steep turns, heavy splashes of water at numerous occasions, for sure sounds so great. It was really amazing to see a young 5 years old boy company us, who was on the way of getting trained by the other members of the crew who were guiding us on the raft. Those people were all so good and I seriously enjoyed and laughed my heart out with them. I hope that these people could get a good life as they have to risk their life at such a young age. The tourists are the only means of their daily bread and I seriously hope they are given opportunities in life to choose some other exciting professions as well. All the way we were photographed by their Group member who was following us in a Van along the River.
The best part was the Mount K2 (Kangchenjunga) which seemed so close from there. It was no corner of Sikkim from where it was not visible. There is a place also where you can actually see it by Telescope. It was very unfortunate that the Govt. has now closed skiing there. We also went to Nepal; and bought lots of Goods as it’s a duty free port and most of all you need no passport/visa to go in Nepal, so we had an extra favour to peep into that country too while we were on the way back to the airport.
All the way, the driver who was also our guide was a splendid person as well. I think I really enjoyed his company, he was a good person and a very Good Driver. I really wonder how these people actually learn to drive when there is actually no Plan Surface where they can initiate there basics and I still could not find the answer to that though he tried his best to tell me but it looked completely difficult and risky way on those steep turns and twists of the road where one mistake can put you straight in the hell.
I think this trip was another superb trip for me. With the heights of Natula Pass to the River bed of Tista, the Buddhist Monks to Nepal I really loved the place and would love to go there many more times as just one is not enough for me.
I wish that there should be no more NTPC Power Projects which are hampering the beauty of that place. The rich flora and fauna, especially the beautiful Red Pandas which are the Heart of Sikkim should be preserved at any cost. The people there need a bit more help from the Central Govt as it has still many difficulties which are hidden as still THE SIKKIM WEEPS.

---
Mukul Gupta

0 comments:

How do you find the Post ?